Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Favorite Pregnancy Book

Sure we all got a copy of What to Expect When Your Expecting- but if you are looking for a book that offers a wide spectrum of views and a bit more personal an approach check out From the Hips: A Comprehensive, Open-Minded, Uncensored, Totally Honest Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, and Becoming a Parent.



What I liked most about this book is the cartoonist bubbles that have quotes from "anonymoms" and "anonydads" as they call them. It is so refreshing and comforting to hear that you are not the only one who thinks:

"man- I didn't realize how much my social circle drinks until I stopped drinking- it was tough!"

"I was so scared about loosing the baby that I kept running to the bathroom to check my undies"

"my milk didnt come in for 4 days and I thought my baby would starve! My doula said it was perfectly normal and in the end everything was fine"



The quotes say things that more straightforward (read: dull) pregnancy books don't and they truly are unbiased and supportive of all pregnant women and new mothers. If it is your first pregnancy and you don't have friends who are pregnant yet it is a great way to hear real women talk about all kinds of issues- on your own time and in the privacy of your own home.

No comments: